Sunday, May 8, 2016

Cajon Pass (already?!)

This week has been a bit of a whirlwind, and there are lots of updates from on and off the PCT, but I need to start with the big milestone:

Darby hit 300 miles already! He has been blowing through miles and making it look effortless this week. In fact, Darby actually made it to Cajon Pass today, though he originally didn't anticipate reaching Cajon until later this week. More on that later, but I'll start where the last post left off with some updates:

Darby left Ziggy and the Bear's to return to the trail after the fire closure. From there, he ended up with some pretty decent cell service when he had the town of Big Bear in sight, so we got to talk a bunch while he walked. The pictures he sent from the trail show what an incredibly diverse landscape he encounters with each mile. A sampling of what he experienced over the last 70ish miles (he hit 342 when he stopped in Cajon Pass today):
 
 





Also, little shout out to Lydia and OB (pictured here). I enjoyed reading Lydia's blog on the PCT journalist website before Darby encountered them. Darby told me he met the two of them on the trail the other day (her blog is here http://appalachiantrials.com/hitting-the-200-mile-marker-vs-scoring-in-n-out-burger/).  I recognized the names and was excited to be able to put a face to a name. Seeing the blogs of strangers come to life through Darby's encounters has become a fun game for me. I love when he crosses paths with these strangers who I feel like I have come to know through reading.  It feels like a weird, ultra-nerdy PCT celebrity sighting.  Technology may have its downsides, but I'm really appreciating how well-connected it's keeping us despite all of the distance and lifestyle differences right now.

I am happy to report that Darby is prepared, healthy, and consistently positive about every aspect of his journey. Darby exudes a chipper, energized vibe (even after hiking 10 miles before lunch!), and I leave every phone call with him radiating in that happy glow he gives off. Hearing from him with so much frequency the last few days has meant I have been gushing to anyone and everyone willing to listen about how proud I am of his latest accomplishments. I'm fairly certain it's getting annoying to friends and even casual acquaintances at this point, but I can't help but share the excitement: he's 342 miles into the PCT, relatively pain free, and taking everything in stride with the most incredible attitude! Everything appeared to be going as well as it possibly could be... and then I was proven wrong, because in fact things are even better than I imagined- all because of the fast pace Darby has kept this week. 

Before I can explain those developments, I have to backtrack slightly to some Off the PCT updates. I've continued losing weight (unintentionally - because of this frustrating inability to tolerate food), and last week was a little rough for me. I struggled with nausea and pretty consistent discomfort, making it difficult to eat to get any calories to resolve that whole tired/no energy issue. Every day going into work to teach was a physical struggle, and it felt less worth the sacrifice when the students seemed apathetic to any kind of instruction. With the AP exam upon them and the end of the year around the corner, they had mostly checked out and were no longer interested in learning anything new. I didn't feel like I was offering them anything by being there (particularly in a less-energized state), and it was physically and emotionally draining for me to keep going in to teach when I was feeling so sick. Friday was my last day teaching. I have some mixed emotions about it, of course; I'll miss a lot of the students, and many of them made all of the sacrifices worthwhile, but I'm also optimistic about being freed up to take care of my health. I also hoped that eliminating the stress of the school would help my stomach issues and give me a chance to eat and maybe get some pep back in my step. The goodbyes at school were tough with some of the kids who I was genuinely invested in, but I know it was the right decision to move on and re-prioritize.
Here are some pictures of the kiddos on my last day:


(any guesses who my three biggest troublemakers were in that last class...?)

So, with school behind me, and with Darby speeding along the trail making better time than anticipated, we decided to switch up the plans for my trip. I'm leaving on Tuesday morning to meet him in Ontario, and excited does not begin to describe how I'm feeling about that news! Darby arrived in Cajon Pass around lunchtime, and after downing possibly the single weirdest McDonald's concoction ever made, he received a ride from a very kind and generous mother of another hiker he met. He was dropped off at the new iFly tunnel in Ontario, and some of the guys there (Curtis in particular) are taking great care of him- giving him a couch to crash on and time to fly in the super-fast, sparkly new tunnel until I get there Tuesday morning! 
In case anyone is curious about his McDonald's meal, Darby was starving after hiking 12ish miles, and he ordered chicken, fish, and a big mac, and he created a mega-sandwich, then used the extra bread and lettuce to create a french-fry sandwich (as a palate cleanser?).  Hiker Hunger strikes again!

I know he seems totally famished here, but he did let me know that the dehydrated ground beef worked out really well for some dinners the last couple nights (with mac n cheese one night and spaghetti and tomato sauce another). I'll definitely be making use of the dehydrator again after I get back from California. Woohoo back from California! I don't know that it's really sunken in yet that I get to go visit Darby out west in a day and a half, and the next time I post to this blog will be post-visit! Exciting stuff :)

While Darby was busy working his way through 20+ mile days all weekend, I enjoyed a few off the trail pleasures. I slept in Saturday (and then got caught up on the phone with Darby later that morning- more on that update in a second!)  but eventually made it out to get a couple jumps in this weekend at DeLand. All that tunnel time is making such a huge difference in my flying! Unfortunately, you can't practice exiting an airplane in the tunnel, so that's definitely an area in need of a LOT of improvement... Here are a few pictures from this weekend's skydiving fun:

To top off a great Saturday afternoon jumping, new roommate Kristen got me into the tunnel to fly after! As weird as this may sound to people who don't skydive, jumping really relaxes me,  and my stomach felt calm for the first time in a while. With all the exercise from flying, I also ended up  finally feeling really hungry and ready to eat.

Saturday was a great day off the trail, even without taking into account the best news of the day: Darby is making such great time, he appears to be two weeks ahead of schedule and may need to take a little time off the trail in June! He's on track to hit Kennedy Meadows by June 1st, but he can't start the High Sierras until after the snow melts a couple weeks after that. When he called Saturday, he filled me in on the news and we excitedly started planning a mini-vacation if/when he needs to take a little trail hiatus to kill time for the snow melting.

I never even considered this could be a possibility during his 4-5 month adventure, so I'm over the moon thrilled about the prospect of time with him next month! We can't set anything in motion or make any solid plans yet for a couple reasons: 1. not sure if/when he'll be at Kennedy Meadows; and 2. I see the new doctor on May 18 and can't make any plans until I have a better idea what my health situation is. Even so, thinking about taking a little 4-5 day trip with Darby sounds fantastic. I don't know that I've stopped smiling since he told me. We're leaning toward Belize right now, since I've always wanted to go,  it would be a great mix of adventure (zip lining, cave rappelling, hiking) and relaxation (beach, pool, rainforest sounds), and it's the low season so it's a good time to travel there price-wise; however, if it turns out we can't travel anywhere because of my health stuff, then we'll make the most of a fun Florida stay-cation in whatever time he can take off the trail. So. Freakin. Excited.

So what's next?
Step 1: Visit Darby in Ontario!!
Step 2: Finish moving my stuff to Orlando
Step 3: See the doctor and get a new plan in place to get healthy!
Step 4: Plan a trip to Belize?!?!
Step 5: Make another awesome care package and dehydrate some stuff
Step 6: Job interview


Current mood: Darby-level positive and optimistic! Everything is looking awesome moving forward.

No comments: